1. Welcome to LivingTheVanLife! For those who may not know you, introduce yourself and tell us your role in the band?
Peter Manhart – lead singer and guitarist
2. When you are not working on music, what do you like to do?
I like reading books, watching movies, and drinking beer with friends. Also, sometimes I like just lying on the couch and staring at the ceiling for long periods of time. It’s nice to take a break sometimes and do absolutely nothing.
3. To start off, we are going to play a quick little get to know you game called This or That. I will give you two options and you will pick your favorite.
a. Skiing or tennis
b. Bears or Cubs
c. Video games or movies
d. Reading or Writing
4. If your band were to be stranded on a deserted island, who in the band would last the
I’m gonna say me, but I don’t really have a good reason why. Just optimistic I guess.
5. In three words, how would you describe your music?
Cinematic Thoughtful Rock
6. Your EP, Hearts of Fire, will be released in May, what should fans expect when they pick up a copy and hear it for the first time?
A variety of styles in 3 songs. A straight ahead rock song followed by a bright funky synth-driven jam followed by a dark brooding trip to a funeral service. We’ll take you on a journey for 3 songs.
7. If you had to recommend one song off the EP to someone looking to check you out for the first time, which song would you pick?
Even though it doesn’t rock very hard (and we’re a pretty high-energy band for the most part), I would pick “Reverie.” In my opinion, it’s a good example of what we’ve been doing lately – blending a lot of different styles while adding our own spin to make something uniquely “Molehill.”
8. What was your favorite memory while recording/writing the songs on the EP?
I was beyond excited on the day when we all voted on which songs we wanted to record. We had about 25 songs fully arranged and demoed with music and lyrics and everything, and each of us voted on our top 5, and from there we made our first cut, and then we had another round of voting after that. We only recorded 3 of them, after all. On that first day, I made a whole excel spreadsheet with everyone’s votes. I’m a huge nerd, apparently. I don’t know, I was just so excited to see what direction we were going to take. There were a lot of sounds I was pretty proud of in that group of 25.
9. Thank you for doing this interview! Before we go, is there anything that you would like to say to our readers?
Thanks for having us! And to the readers – thank you for taking the time to read this! We are so grateful for all the people who have taken a chance on us and who have gotten behind us and our music!