1. Welcome to LivingTheVanLife! For those who may not know you, can you state your name and your role in the band?
My name is Brock Steele. I am the vocalist/screamer in Break And Enter.
For reference, here are the members of Break And Enter: Isaac Jensen (drums), Charlie Maurer (rhythm guitar), Ashley Briggs (lead guitar), Matt Sanford (bass) and Brock Steele (vocals).
2. If your band were to be trapped in The Hunger Games, how would each member attempt to survive and who in the band would make it to the end?
Out of everyone in our band, Ashley would survive to the end. Ashley is the mastermind behind a lot of our creativity, so I’m almost 100% sure she would make it to the end.
As far as the other members go, Matt and I would kill each other the moment the games start, we do not back down until it is finished. Charlie and Isaac would try to band together and be a team, but Ashley would easily kill both of them, probably with her bare hands.
3. In three words, how would you describe your music?
Honest, chaotic and fast.
4. Is there an overall message that you hope to portray in either your music or through the band?
Our Facebook and website says this: “Break And Enter is all about embracing every thought, emotion, and action that makes us who we are without conforming to any stereotypes.” We wholeheartedly encourage our listeners to be themselves. We all believe that if you do not believe in yourself, you will never truly achieve anything. We are very vocal about our beliefs. Our new record will explore these concepts a lot more in depth as well. Basically, our music deals with the problems and solutions that come out of being yourself.
5. When someone comes out to one of your shows, what should they expect?
They should expect to be comfortable. We do not force the room to move or make people feel guilty for standing in the back. Everyone has their own way to enjoy music and we respect that. However, most of the times there is lots of head banging, sweat and moshing. We love crowd interaction – it makes us play better.
6. If you had to recommend one of your songs to someone checking you out for the first time, which song would you choose? Why?
I always recommend “Final Judgement.” It showcases our music the best due to solos from each member. I will start recommending new songs once our full length is released, because Welcome Home does not feature Ashley at all. Our songwriting has definitely matured and I cannot wait to show it to everyone.
7. What is your favorite song to play live?
Our new song “Guillotine.” It is the first song we ever wrote and performed with Ashley. It has some seriously brutal chugs and tends to get the crowd going. I love that song, especially when we open with it. It is so honest about a really trying period in my life and coveys a message centered around positivity. “Guillotine” is also very unique because it does not have a chorus. It was a different song for us to write and I love that.
8. Looking ahead at the rest of 2017, what should fans be on the lookout for?
A new record, new merchandise, new music videos, a new website that launched a couple days ago (breakandentertn.com) and some surprises (maybe some guest vocals and stuff).
9. Thank you for doing this interview! Before we go, is there anything that you would like to say to our readers?
Please, please, please follow us on Spotify and Facebook. The more Spotify followers we get, the closer we get to being put on playlists. We want to have a very wide release for our newest record and we cannot do it without a little blue checkmark on Spotify.