1. Welcome to LivingTheVanLife! For those who may not know you, can you state your name and your role in the band?
Mike Squillante: Lead Vocals and Guitar.
Nick Squillante: Keyboards and Backing Vocals
Steve Ranellone: Drums
2. If your band were to be trapped in The Hunger Games, how would each member attempt to survive and who in the band would make it to the end?
Mike: I’d knock out the heavy-hitters first, thus making myself a heavy-hitter so everyone else would fear me and steer clear.
Nick: Alliances, the enemy of my enemy is my friend… I haven’t really figured out what happens if that works, but hopefully we can pull some poisonous berry trick like they did in the movie and we can all live!
Steve: I’ve never seen The Hunger Games, but I’d for sure be the one to survive because I’m a savage.
3. In three words, how would you describe your band?
Mike: Catchy, Articulate, and Theatrical
4. At the end of March, you released your single entitled “Once Upon a Time,” why did you decide to release this track as the first single from your upcoming EP?
Mike: We felt it was our most commercial in terms of hooks. We also thought it’d be rad to have the first track we ever released called “Once Upon a Time.” Sort of the beginning of a long story.
5. How does this track compare to the rest of the EP?
Mike: All the songs on the forthcoming EP have to do with this general theme of saying what’s on your mind WHEN it’s on your mind. There are plenty of people out there who may be missing out on the fullness of life. I think we’ve all been that person at least once, unhappy with where we are, knowing what it would take to get to that happy place, but never taking the first step because we’re too afraid to do so. So, our message is basically to not let a moment go by without striving to get the most out of that moment. Life is short! Sonically, imagine that John Mayer joined The Chainsmokers and their favorite band is The 1975.
6. Can you talk a bit about what the song is about?
Mike: “Once Upon A Time” is basically a fairy tale love story in reverse. The person in the song is a hopeless romantic. He or she can visualize their entire love story before it ever actually happens. The one thing he or she can’t figure is how to begin said love story. He or she doesn’t have the confidence or courage to be anything but a secret admirer, watching and waiting for the beginning to their happy ending.
7. Your EP is due out in April, if you had to choose one song off the EP to show to someone who may be checking out your band for the first time, which song would you pick?
Nick: It’d probably be a song we’re calling “Addicted.” It’s got that modern dark-pop vibe to it, sort of like a Zayn track combined with Hosier.
8. What was your favorite memory while writing/recording the EP?
Steve: Probably my outbursts if I screwed up a take during drum tracking. Mike and Nick definitely have a folder full of hilarious saved samples of me screaming from behind my kit.
9. Thank you for doing this interview! Before we go, is there anything that you would like to say to our readers?
Mike: Your support means everything to us. It keeps us moving forward! Share the single with your friends and SPEAK YOUR HEART!