1. Welcome to LivingTheVanLife! For those who may not know you, can you state your name and talk a bit about what you do?
My name is Mick Hayes…but that’s not my real name. So mysterious, LOL! I’m a singer, songwriter, guitarist, husband, doggie-daddy, winebibber, coffee snob and Lincon lover. I’ve been fortunate enough to have made it this far as a professional in the music industry and I’m eagerly awaiting the next level.
2. In three words, how would you describe your music?
Pure, Authentic & Revealing
3. Who would you say is your biggest musical influence?
Toto. I think you can learn everything from Toto. How to sing, play instruments, write, arrange, produce, perform and weather the storm.
4. If you had to choose one of your songs to show to someone who may be checking out your music for the first time, which song would you recommend they listen to first?
I think “Hard 2 Explain” is a good place to start. It has elements of my early recordings and a clear indication of where I’m heading musically too.
5. Your music video, “Hard 2 Explain,” premiered on Huffington Post, how has the overall response been so far?
The response has been great! Now I’m really looking forward to finishing the full album and hearing the industry feedback on the full release.
6. Can you talk a bit about what the song is about?
I was stuck in this vicious cycle of bad relationships. It just seemed that I was attracting the same scenarios over and over. Eventually, the last one got the better of me and I had to write about it. If I had to put it into different words, I guess you could say it’s about that lingering “other person” in someone’s life that remains a mystery until you eventually have to confront them about it.
7. What was your favorite memory while recording the music video for “Hard 2 Explain?”
I really remember enjoying the production process. I’ve just recently built a home studio and I’m loving the “no limits” feeling that it gives me. For instance, when I wanted to run my backup vocals through a Leslie speaker cabinet there was no limitations and it was like that for a number of other things.
8. Is there anything else that you would like to say about “Hard 2 Explain” that you have not yet said?
It was a song that I had basically forgotten about. We were playing it at our shows as an “unreleased song” around 2010, but the strains within that lineup eventually caused a fracture. When I rebuilt again for the next set of shows it just didn’t end up in the rotation. So, I can’t wait to play it live again now that it has been reimagined and released!
9. Thank you for doing this interview! Before we go is there anything that you would like to say to our readers?
Thank you for asking me!
Please share and enjoy my music. Follow me in social media and know that I’m always available and if I’m not it’s because I’m making music or spending time with my family. To me music is artistic expression, not just entertainment. Thank you for allowing me to express myself and tell my stories of the journey along the way.