1. Welcome to LivingTheVanLife, for those who might not know you, can you introduce yourself and talk a bit about what you do?
Thanks! I am a singer/performer, I have been doing music since I can remember. I just moved to Los Angeles, California form Florida. I started in dance and musical theatre when I was really young and then studied music and business at Florida Atlantic University where I decided to focus all of my energy on being an artist and my EP Iridescent Flower Child is out now!
2. In 3 words, how would you describe your music?
Authentic, Contemporary, Pop
3. You recently released your EP Iridescent Flower Child, what should listeners expect when they listen to it for the first time?
IFC is a really eclectic project; there is something for everyone. It’s 7 tracks that revolve around ideas of love and lust, a lot of inspiration was drawn from 90s and early 2000s R&B music, but you can hear hints of hip-hop, soul and funk.
4. Is there something special that you hope listeners can take from either a song or the EP?
I want people to be able to relate to “Sweet Freedom.” If you have ever been in an unhealthy or controlling relationship you will understand how refreshing it is to finally let go and move on. And if people are currently in a situation that doesn’t make them happy I hope this song will inspire them to start living for themselves and make decision with their own health and happiness in mind.
5. If you had to pick one song off the EP to show to someone checking out your music for the first time, which song would you choose? Why?
I would choose “Still Down For You.” I think it is a good representation of the project. It is sonically well done and a really “feel-good” song.
6. Was there a certain a moment while either writing or recording the EP that stands out to you the most?
I remember the first day of recording. It was for “Pretend” and I spent like 6 hours in the studio just recording the intro harmonies. I wanted them to be perfect. It turned out to be 24 vocal tracks just for the intro. It was my first crack at recording myself so it was super rewarding when I finished and it sounded dope.
7. Is there anything else about the EP or a song off the EP that you would like to say that you have not yet said?
People should listen to the lyrics of “The Magic Interlude” and see if they hear my hidden message.
8. Thank you for doing this interview! Before we go, is there anything that you would like to say to our readers?
Thanks for having me! I hope everyone listens to Iridescent Flower Child out now on iTunes and Spotify and make sure to follow my social media accounts @ilanaarmida for more updates about my music and life. Send me a tweet about IFC and I will be sure to respond!