1. For those who don’t know you, can you introduce yourself and state your role in the band?
Hey everyone, we are 5/6 of Burn It Up. Joe on vocals, Dan on Bass, Evan on Trombone, Alex on Drums, and Justin on Trumpet.
2. If your band were to be trapped in a horror movie, what would each member’s role be and who in the band would make it to the sequel?
Joe: Dan will be the sensible one that no one listens to, so he’ll die first due to everyone else’s poor choices. Justin will be the skeptic who thinks Dan’s death was just an accident, and so his carelessness will get him killed next. Alex is angry and defiant, and dies from overconfidence. Eli is the hero, he’ll survive. Joe will survive too, but he’ll be the first to die in the opening scene of the sequel. Evan will be the antagonist, a mad scientist bent on ridding the world of all traces of Phil Collins, electronic drums, and poorly made chicken wings. Eli thinks he’s stopped him, but Evan’s body is never found…
3. How would you describe your music to our readers who may be hearing about you for the first time?
Evan: Cerebral prog-punk-ska-reggae-metal that you can dance to.
4. On Oct. 14, you released your album Toys, how would you describe the release?
Dan: I think its our best yet. With this current line up, we recorded 2 prior albums (All These Evolutions & Outlier). We learned what we did right and wrong from each of those albums and crafted our masterpiece. Like the two prior records, it’s a smorgasbord of musical styles, not just a ska album. It’s best to listen to Toys with headphones because there is a lot going on and some hidden gems in there.
5. If you had to pick one song from the album to show to someone checking out your band for the first time, which song would you choose? Why?
Justin: I would pick the song “Fire Man” to show someone as their introduction to Burn It Up. It’s a great mix of a bunch of stuff that make Burn It Up what it is, from the smooth reggae verses to the catchy, uptempo chorus, to the killer guitar solo…it kind of has everything you’d want in a nice tight little package. We have stuff on the record that is faster and more aggressive as well as stuff that is more chilled out, but “Fire Man” hits a really nice sweet spot right in the middle and is a perfect “hand shake” tune for us!
6. You are currently on the Get Amped Tour, what are your top five must have tour items?
Alex: Book, iPad, headphones, go pro, & phone.
7. Is there anything else that you would like to say about the album that you have not yet said?
Joe: All of us are very proud of this record. We worked hard to build each of these songs into something special, and we went through hell this past year to get them released. We want you to hear this album. Go and steam it, and tell us what you think.
8. Thank you for doing this interview! Before we go, is there anything that you would like to say to the people reading?
Dan: Thank you for having us! Yes, a shameless plug! Listen to Toys. Just go to Bandcamp or iTunes!