1. For those who don’t know you, can you state your name and your role in the band?
John Vaughn – Lead Vocals/Guitar
Matt Alvarado – Bass Guitar/Backing Vocals
Ben Lapps – Drums/Backing Vocals
2. If your band were to be trapped in a horror movie, what would each member’s role be and who in the band would make it to the sequel?
Ben dies. Matt has an extraordinarily heroic death saving John from certain doom. Soon after Matt’s death, it is revealed that John was the murderer all along. He makes it to the sequel alone.
3.How would you describe your music to those who are checking you out for the first time?
An energetic sound with sincere, thoughtful lyrics. Lots of pop, funk, and rock influences show through.
4.What has been your best memory together as a band?
A couple of years ago, on John’s birthday, we all went to see Neon Trees play a show in Ohio. Right before the show started, Neon Trees tweeted about needing an opening band for their next show. We tweeted back and they responded to us. Before we knew it, we were driving to Delaware to open for one of our favorite bands, Neon Trees.
5.You recently released your single “Perfect,” how would you describe this song?
“Perfect” is the start of a new era for PUBLIC – both in sound and in using our lyrics to send a very direct message. It’s our only track that has a reggae feel. And the slow, intentional groove matches the sincere, romantic lyrics.
6. When someone listens to “Perfect,” is there a certain message that you hope they take from it?
The message of “Perfect” is for the girls of today. Being constantly surrounded by social media, women are being fed an image of what they should look like and how they should act. The song is about embracing imperfections and not bowing down to the standards set by pop culture.
7. Is there anything else that you would like to say about “Perfect” that you have not yet said?
We are so incredibly excited about this track. It carries a message that we are proud to be sharing.
8. Thank you for doing this interview! Before we go, is there anything that you would like to say to the people reading this?
You can expect a lot more stuff like this from us in the near future. So excited about it.