1. For those who don’t know you, can you state your name and role in the band?
Jt: my name is Jt, and I am the vocalist for Famous Last Words.
2. If your band were to be trapped in a horror movie, what would each member’s role be and who would make it to the sequel?
Jt: We would be the goofiest horror movie ever. I’m talking about Scooby Doo goofy. Like how Korn was in that South Park episode, “Korn’s Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery.” We’d have the most positive personalities ever, then just start playing some dark ass music and shock the whole town. We’d all live because nobody dies in “Famous Last Words’ Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery.” Except for Kenny. He dies.
3. You will be releasing your album, The Incubus, on Sept. 30th, your prior releases have centered around various stories pertaining to different issues or situations. Will The Incubus also have an overall concept?
Jt: The incubus does have a story of its own. We’ve been doing concept albums since our first full length, Two-Faced Charade.
4. Is there a certain overall message that you hope listeners take away from the album?
Jt: All of our albums always come back to the same universal message. The message is that no matter how dark of a situation you are in, there is always a flicker of light. There is always hope, no matter how low your situation might be.
5. You have recently released a music video your single “Pretty in Porcelain,” what is the story behind this song?
Jt: That song is just a part of the big picture that is The Incubus. The songs in the album are split between nightmares that the main character, Christine, is having, and her conscious world. “Pretty In Porcelain” is actually the first nightmare song. In the song, she is in a dark room, completely aware, but unable to move. A man comes into the room and starts moving her, dressing her, and putting makeup on her like a child would with a doll. It’s supposed to represent the vulnerability and helplessness she is feeling.
6. If you had to choose one song off of the album to show to someone checking out your band for the first time, which song would you pick? Why?
Jt: I would actually have to ask them what they usually like listening to first. The album is so diverse and has so many elements, that each song sounds different from the last. But the album really works best as a whole. I’d have to recommend just listening to the whole thing.
7. What song off of the album are you most excited for everyone to hear? Why?
Jt: One of my favorites that hasn’t been released yet is titled “Maze In My Mind.” The energy in this song is insane and it has one of the catchiest choruses I’ve ever written in it.
8. During the writing/recording process of the album, what was your best or most memorable moment?
Jt: After doing roughly 6 months of research, and developing the story, the characters, and the plot line, I knew exactly what I wanted to say in each part of each song. But getting it to this point took so much prep work and time that I actually had to write the lyrics for six of the songs in three days when we got to the studio. I knew what needed to be said, I just had to find the right words. You have to find words that are interesting and compelling, while simultaneously making sure they sound good and have a good flow. So it’s like I had a jigsaw puzzle in front of me. All of the pieces were there, I just had to find them and put them together to get the full picture. Needless to say, it was still a very long three days.
9. Is there anything else that you wish to say about the release that you have not yet said?
Jt: I’m really excited for people to guess what the story is. This is the first album we haven’t come out with the story beforehand, so I can’t wait to see how it’s perceived by everyone. I think everyone who listens to the album is in for a trip.
10. Thank you for doing this interview! Before we go, is there anything you would like to say to the people reading this?
Jt: Thank you for all of your support. I hope to see everyone on the road this next year and I hope everyone really enjoys the album! You can pick the album up at famouslastwords.merchnow.com