1. For those you don’t know you, can you state your name and your role in the band?
TJ Rosenthal vocals, guitar
2. Describe each other in 3 words.
Long time friend. Wait, is long time one word? Haha.
3. How would you describe your music to someone checking it out for the first time?
We’re a two piece. The sound is guitar, drum and melody driven, sometimes colored
with strings and keys.
4. You recently released your self-titled EP, what kind of response has it gotten so far?
It just got released so I’d say it’s ongoing, too early to judge. We love the record and the subsequent songs we recorded months back in L.A that will follow. It’s a chapter in the book, this debut..let’s just say that.
5. Is there a song off of the EP that is your favorite or that you are most proud of? Why?
I love them all, but “City to the Countryside” for its feel and groove. “Smoking in the Shadows” for its story that was inspired by a photo I found in the Village Voice of girls smoking on Prince St. in 1978.
6. If you had to choose one song off of the EP to show to someone interested in listening to your band for the first time, which song would you choose? Why?
“Back of the Building” is straight ahead, driving. “Leaders” and Countryside move at a constant up tempo pace. “Smoking in the Shadows” and “Greatest Armie”s have more layering sonically. “Duchess and the Tsar” has that slow, loping groove with dirty guitar tones. I’d probably try and figure out what you like most and play that style for you haha.
7. Why do you feel people should check out your EP?
Because it’s honest.
8. What is next for Monk Tamony?
West Coast dates in July, East Coast and Midwest dates in September and a follow up EP this fall/winter.
9. Thank you for doing this interview! Before we go, is there anything that you would like to say to the people reading this?
Thanks for checking us out.