1. For those who don’t know you, can you state your name and your role in the band?
I’m Tanner, and I play the vocal chords.
I’m Ilya, I play guitar.
I’m Isaac, I play the six strings.
And I’m grant and I play drums.
2. Describe your band as a whole in 3 words.
Isaac: Really fucking sweet haha.
3. If your band was trapped in a horror movie, what would each of your roles be and who in the band would make it to the sequel?
Isaac: I would be the rational guy that has the right ideas but gets killed because his friends want to go into the basement and make him go first.
Tanner: I would die first because I’m scared of my own shadow. I would probably die before the antagonist actually made an on screen appearance haha. Although we all are creative guys so we might find some weird way to survive. I’d say Ilya would make it to the sequel. Russians are like made of steal or something.
4. You are releasing your debut EP Running With Scissors soon, how would you describe the EP as a whole?
Isaac: I personally see it as a new definition on the pop punk scene. As hard as I try, I cannot find a band that sounds just like us and it makes me proud of all of us.
5. If you had to choose one song off of the EP to show to someone, which song would you choose? Why?
I would probably choose “One Year Down.” It was one of the most fun songs to make on the EP. It’s very energetic with a modern sound. The lyrics hit home and it’s overall just a fun song!
6. Why did you decide to name the EP Running With Scissors?
Tanner: Lyrically, I had written most of these songs about a falling out I had with Isaac. The track “Running With Scissors” is basically my saying a lot of shit that I wanted to say to him. I was angry and I knew that releasing these songs would pretty much end any chance of us talking again. Writing lyrics like “I’ll cry you a river and maybe you’ll drown” or “growing up is just a symptom of denial…” Luckily Isaac was really cool about hearing these lyrics. “Running With Scissors” if basically playing with fire. I’m saying things I shouldn’t, and it could bite me back.
7. Which song off of the EP are you most excited for people to hear? Why?
Tanner: I would say “Turn Tables,” but that’s already released haha. “Play Your Cards Right, Kid” is definitely an innovative song. When Ilya and I worked on that track, we put a shit ton of weird ideas into it. We basically sat down and said: “let’s just go fucking crazy with this.”
8. Why should people check out your band?
People should check us out because we bring something new to the table. I always feel like I’ve heard things being done over and over again and I feel like In Lights brings a whole new sound to pop punk.
9. Thank you for doing this interview! Before we go, is there anything that you would like to say to the people reading this?
Tanner: From the bottom of our hearts thank you guys so fucking much for checking us out. Please help spread the word about us. We hope to see you guys out there screaming these lyrics with us!!!