Interview by: LivingTheVanLife
Cover Photo by: Lauren Taylor
Article Photo by: Chelsea Gresh
1. For those who don’t know you, can you state your name and your role in the band?
VISTA: Hope Vista is the lead vocalist and songwriter, she’ll also be playing guitar occasionally for live shows. Wolf is the drummer and songwriter; he also calls himself the jack of all trades because he dabbles in pretty much everything in the band. Brian is the rhythm guitarist and backing vocalist, he’ll be singing with Hope.
2. Describe another member of the band in 3 words.
VISTA: Brian is creative, excited, and carefree. It’s awesome; he just lives his life and is always excited about whatever he’s doing. Wolf is hardworking, well-rounded, and friendly. He’s friends with everyone; he’s the guy that you can’t not like. Hope is bubbly, inspiring, and ridiculous. Everyone always says that she’s just completely ridiculous; it’s a good thing, though. She has a brain full of ideas and is really, really smart.
3. If the band was trapped in a horror movie, what would each member’s role be and who would make it to the sequel?
VISTA: Hope would absolutely not make it to the sequel. She wouldn’t even make it past the first 30 seconds, so she’s out automatically. Wolf would without a doubt make it to the sequel, he could probably survive on the Walking Dead, he has those skills. Brian might make it… maybe not. It depends on the day.
4. How would you describe your music to people checking you out for the first time?
VISTA: We’re defining it as something we call ‘anthemic alternative rock.’ Big, booming anthems that have the feel of a live show. Huge drums, amped up bass, hard-hitting choruses, and filled with chants!
5. Can you talk a bit about how VISTA started and how you decided on the band name?
VISTA: ‘Vista’ is Hope’s real middle name and for her solo career went by ‘Hope Vista’ because her last name is just ridiculously long, it’s unreal. We wanted to choose a name that would help the transition be easy to identify with, so people would recognize the name right off the bat and easily make the connection. Besides that, the meaning of the word ‘vista’ kind of matched up with exactly what we all want for this band. It’s defined as a prospective view through a long opening. Choosing ‘VISTA’ just lined everything up!
6. Your first single as VISTA, “On The Brink,” was released earlier this month, can you talk a bit about the recording process for it and the meaning behind it?
VISTA: The recording process took a while, over a month. Hope actually redid all of the vocals because she didn’t think they were representative of her best work, she wanted to make sure they were the strongest possible. This was our first time in the studio collectively as a band, and the track itself is about Hope going from a solo artist to forming VISTA, the fear behind making a massive change but knowing that it’s the right choice. We really wanted to work as hard as we could in there and bring all of our individual ideas into one.
7. While recording “On The Brink” was there a moment that strikes you as the most memorable among the band?
VISTA: Writing that track actually had a more memorable moment than when we were recording it. “On The Brink” was the first song Hope and Wolf even tried to write together, they hadn’t tried before. It was the first day that they sat down specifically for a VISTA writing session. That whole session was memorable, they knew it was something really special, and it came out so seamlessly!
8. If the band was stranded on a deserted island and in order to survive you had to eat another member, who would you eat and how would the rest of the band try to survive?
VISTA: Hope would not survive. Similar to a horror movie setting, she would absolutely die first. She’s just ridiculous. That’s about all we know for sure. Brian would definitely jump to eat Wolf first.
9. Why should people check out your band, what sets you apart?
VISTA: A few female fronted bands are really killin’ it right now, like PVRIS and Against The Current, so it’s always really difficult to figure out what makes your band stand out among the best. We’re genuinely, genuinely friends outside of the band, and we hope it shows in everything we do. There’s real friendship, real passion, real drive. But the real thing that we think is special is that we’re setting out to define our own genre on our terms. We’re exploring different elements, paying attention to small, little sounds that may seem insignificant, we’re combining things together and really listening to everything around us to define what that genre is. We want to be a constant anthem.
10. What should people be on the lookout for from you in the future?
VISTA: Our EP very soon, the release date is TBA still, but it will be within a month! We have some shows in May, we’re hitting up Pittsburgh, Long Island, and north Jersey. Then we’ll have another standalone single at the end of May to compensate for having to scratch one track off of our EP that we didn’t have time to finish! And also a lot of summer shows that we have yet to confirm!
11. Thank you for doing this interview! Before we go, is there anything you want to say to the people reading this?
VISTA: Thank you so much in advance for checking out our music, we hope you dig it! Hopefully we see you at a show in the future ❤