1. For those who don’t know you, can you state your name and your role in the band?
Matt McAdam Bass player/vocals for Message To The Masses
2. Describe each band member in 3 words.
Matt Diana: strong, excited, leader
Matti Hoffman: musical, laid back, driven
Mikey Castillo: thoughtful, sleepy, funny
David Gorst: funny, happy, awake
Myself: Band dad, happy
3. If the band was to star in a horror movie, what type of character would each member be and who would make it to the sequel?
Matt would charge straight into the fray, I would try to construct a plan and most likely fail, Matti and David would wait for the majority to fight back, and Mikey would be finding weapons. Matt would most likely make it to the sequel as well as Matti and Mikey. David and I wouldn’t make it because we would be telling jokes more than constructing a plan.
4. How would you describe your music to people check you out for the first time?
Every time I listen to our music, I hear a collective emotion split between 5 members. Any one song is driven by each member’s personal demons.
5. How did the band start and how did the name Message to the Masses come about?
The start of the band was just right timing really. We had all left our old bands and decided to work together. We have all known each other most of our lives and were already comfortable with each other, making it easier to survive the battles of the road. The name was actually proposed by a friend of the band and ended up sticking. We liked it [the name] and read it as a book title, where every CD we close a chapter on a part of our lives.
6. What should people expect when they check out your new EP Means To An End?
I tell people that Means To An End is a cluster of genres, but don’t listen to the specific genre you like, listen to all of the songs as it is a story.
7. How does Means To An End differ from Bitter Ends and New Beginnings?
Bitter Ends and New Beginnings was, to me, a promise to myself to keep moving forward with Message To The Masses and let the problems of the teenage angst version of the band go. Means To An End is the album that we decide to go until the band dies.
8. What is your favorite song off of the EP, what does it mean to you and why is it your favorite?
My favorite song to play live and to listen to now is “Open Your Eyes.” “Open Your Eyes” was written about someone special to me that I lost, and my intention in the lyrics was to inspire people to live on and enjoy each other’s company. Make every moment count.
9. Is there anything else that you want to say about the EP that we haven’t discussed?
This is just the tip of the iceberg for Message To The Masses. We all start with a means to an end and ride it out until the end. 🙂 Enjoy!
10. If the band was stranded on a deserted island, who in the band would you eat first and how would the rest of the band try to survive?
Matt would be eaten first because he has the most meat on his bones. Then after that we would try to eat healthy until rescue came, aaaaand on the off chance that they don’t come, I don’t know what we would do.
11. What makes Message to the Masses different from other bands?
I don’t know many bands who spend as much time in the crowd with the fans as we do. We are fans of music as well as entertainers. Just come up and talk to us!
12. What should people be on the lookout for from you in the future?
Look for us in your town soon. We want to make it a point to meet everyone who enjoys our music.
13. Thank you for doing this interview! Before we go, is there anything you want to say to the people reading this?
Pick up Means To An End and learn every line of that EP and sing it along with us. Thank you for being a part of the MTTM Family.