1. For those who don’t know you can you state your name and your role in the band?
Scoop – Guitar
Matt – Vocals
Isaiah – Drums
2. In one word, describe another member of the band.
Scoop to Matt – Caring
3. What is it about your band, that you feel sets you apart?
Scoop: I’d say it’s our vision and mission. Although its rad to be breaking our necks on stage every night, its about more than that. It’s about connecting with people, sharing moments together and ultimately creating a moment where people can experience hope through Jesus and rock n roll.
4. How would you describe your music to people checking you out for the first time?
Scoop: It’s a mix between Breaking Benjamin and 30 Seconds to Mars. Heavy with melody and guitar solos!
5. Your eighth album “Breathe Again” came out on December 11, how would you compare it to your previous releases?
Scoop: The main differences are the drumming styles, guitar solos and production! Breathe Again still has the classic Matt Baird vocal style that people have come to love and expect, but the drumming is more aggressive and the guitars have more layers.
6. The title track off the album, “Breathe Again,” features Matty Mullins of Memphis May Fire and after its release topped the Billboard Christian Rock charts, how much does that mean to you and how did you decide on featuring Matty Mullins?
Scoop: Believe it or not, the last 4 singles Spoken has released have all been Billboard #1’s! It’s definitely cool to say, we just wish it pulled more weight in the industry or meant more albums sold, but ultimately we’re very thankful and appreciative that people care to spin and listen to our songs! Matty has been a personal friend of ours for quite some time now, so we asked him to be a part of the song and he was pumped!
7. Is there a certain song off of the album that you are the most excited for people to hear or most proud of?
Scoop: For me personally I’d say Take My Breathe Away. I wrote the music bed to this song a few years ago for another artist and it ended up going unused. It’s different and moody and I like that.
8. Where do you want to see Spoken in 10 years?
Scoop: Hopefully still playing shows. We do this because we feel called, so we’ll take that calling 1 day at a time and see what happens 10 years from now!
9. What should people expect next from Spoken in the coming months?
Scoop: A lot of touring and hitting places we haven’t been in years, and maybe a new music video or 2! Stay tuned!
10. Thank you for doing the interview, is there anything you want to say to the people reading this?
Thank you for taking the time to ask us questions, thank you for supporting bands like Spoken and allowing us to do what we do!