1. For those who don’t know you, can you introduce yourself a bit?
My name is Richie and I go under the stage moniker Social Repose. I produce indie electronic music and sing mostly. I have a YouTube channel where I express my love for Chipotle, butts, and my music taste along with many covers.
2. Describe your music in 3 words.
Introspective, cathartic, emotional
3. How did the name Social Repose come about? Is there a certain meaning behind it?
I always say the name kinda describes me as a person. I’m an introvert and for most of my life I’ve enjoyed keeping myself company. I am socially reposed.
4. What overall message do you feel that people should take from your music?
That it’s ok to be a unique emo snowflake.
5. Your EP “Yalta” comes out on November 20th; can you talk a bit about how you came up with the name?
It’s a WW2 reference. The Yalta peace conference was held in the last days of the war where the allies divided up Germany. It served as a metaphor for how much change my project had gone through.
6. While writing “Yalta,” was there a certain song that was the hardest for you to write?
Probably Island Of Yours. Not from an emotional standpoint because to be honest the entire album wrecked me for a while. I just couldn’t get the mix right for the longest time.
7. You recently released a music video for your song “Island Of Yours,” can you talk a bit about the song and what all went into filming the video?
I take pride in my music video productions because I direct and produce all of them. This video went in a pretty artsy direction where I shaved my head and burnt all my stuff. I’m happy with how it came out.
8. When writing new music, where do you find that you find most of your inspiration from?
My depression generally.
9. If you could go back in time 5 years ago, what would you tell your past self?
Stop being so trendy, you idiot.
10. A really popular question on this blog is: in the event of a zombie apocalypse, how long would you make it and what would be your strategy?
Find a farm and recreate the 2nd season of The Walking Dead without the terrible writing.
11. What should people be expecting next from Social Repose?
Lots more YouTube videos. I’ve already started on new material so that should be coming along sorta soon. We’re in the process of planning the Yalta tour in early 2016.
12. Thank you for doing the interview, is there anything you want to say to the people reading this?
If you made it this far then you’re a champ. Let’s go get a burrito or something.